The banjo is done

So I didn’t end up using birch, I went for beech instead. One thing about me it that when I start something it takes up all my time. At least if I like it enough. This project was one of those, all I did was working on the banjo, or reading about banjo constructions. It took quite a lot of studying before I felt comfortable enough to start the actual construction. Angels that needed to be right, scale length and so on. Things I didn’t know a shit about before but now it has broaden my view and anatomy of the banjo.

Well here it is, everything went fine, not a single mistake unless you count the stringing. That was the hardest part. Im so damn proud of it. Made out of beech with some ebony fretboard. Some birch and apple tree inlay. Also some shells I found on New Zealand and some mother of pearl. Little wonder tone ring and.. well take a look. First instrument I ever built.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

First drawings

First drawings

Glueing the fretboard

Glueing the fretboard

Trying bent wood

Trying bent wood

Drilling jig

Drilling jig

Me and the parts

Me and the parts

Inlay

Inlay

Back and dowel

Back and dowel

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Share on TumblrTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>