This is probably the best salad I have ever tried. Got Terry Hope Romero’s book Salad Samurai last week. Very beautiful and filling meat and dairy free recipes. The first one that really caught my eyes were the BKT Bacon Kale Tomato salad with Bacon tempeh. You know what? It turned out to be one of the best salads I have ever tried. It’s a keeper.
And here is my take on it, since I like usual don’t have all the ingredients at home. It’s a great recipe for this time of year, tomatoes are riper than ever, the onions begin to dry, the kale leaves are large and green. You can get most of the veggies from the garden (I excluded the avocado from the original recipe and turned it locally local). The tempeh, I guess you will buy that one, or you can do like a friend and me did last year, made our own. But beware it takes time, peeling thousands of soy beans for the spores to get some grip is a tedious job. Good to have some company. Plus that it need some incubation of a few days. The tempeh got delicious. But well, start with the one in the store, for you own well being.
- 1 batch Tempeh Bacon and Coconut Bacon (recipe below)
- 1 pound curly kale
- 1 onion
- 15 red cocktail tomatoes
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chia
- 1 tsp maple or birch syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Prepare the tempeh and coconut bacon, see recipe below
- Cut the kale in strips. Slice ⅔ of the onions thinly. Divide the tomatoes into halves. Mix all in a big bowl.
- Mince the rest of the onion. Mix with vinegar, chia, syrup and mustard. Pour over the salad and mix well.
- Serve! with Love!
- 3 tsbp tamari
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp syrup, maple or birch
- 1.5 tbsp liquid smoke
- some oil
- half a pund tempeh
- 1 cup coconut flakes (big flakes)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F or 150°C.
- Cut the tempeh into strips or dices. about ½ inch.
- Mix tamers, tomatoes paste, syrup and liquid smoke.
- Pour ⅔ of the mixture over the tempeh and let sit of about 10 min to marinate.
- Pour te raining over the coconut flakes and mix well. Put in a pan and bake in oven for 10-15 min, stir from time to time. Bake until brown.
- Fry the tempeh on medium heat, with the oil, until you get a crispy surface.