When the couple over at green kitchen posted this recipe a few days ago I was totally amazed. How come that I have never thought of making a savoury crumble pie before? Its so easy and probably the best vegan option for pies, since making a regular pie without eggs, can be quite flat. Saying that, a crumble pie is something different, completely, so maybe its not fair to compare it to a regular pie. In a sense its more like a gratin or casserole that just falls apart when you try to put it on the plate. A nice looking mess. This recipe is so simple and genius, almost to simple, maybe thats why I never though of making one. Berry crumble pie, meets savoury, meets tomato sallad. All at once.
Another good thing is that I had some tomatoes laying around, running bad in a few days. The tomato harvest has been insane, hard to keeping up on the eating – ripening ratio. Tomatoes for everything. Think the tomato insanity might be over now, feeling relived and sad at the same time. Also, I recently went to a local organic mill and got some rolled oats from naked oats, a rare and seldom grown oat variety. They have a small shop at their mill. There were dogs that chasing me inside andI don’t like dogs unfamiliar to me, but the staff was lovely nice and dedicated people. The regular supermarket is nothing to the experience of buying directly from the manufacturer.
This one is a veganification of the original one. With some small modifications. Hope you’ll enjoy it!
- 600 g tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1,5 cups rolled oats
- 6 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 0.5 cup grated vegan cheese, or 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, or omit entirely
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch sea salt and some pepper
- 90 g coconut oil, soften in room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 390F
- Cut the tomatoes in halves.
- Grease a baking pan with some coconut oil, large enough to hold all the tomatoes in one layer.
- Place the tomatos in the pan. Sprinkle with the vinegar, and some salt an pepper
- In a bow. Mix the rest of the ingredients with your hands. until well mixed and crumbly.
- Layer the crumple on top of the tomatoes.
- Bake for 40 min.